New Partnership with DiabetesAmerica to Provide Patients with Personalized Diabetes Care
St. Joseph Medical Center (SJMC) announces that DiabetesAmerica, LLC has opened a clinic at its downtown hospital to provide comprehensive diabetes care and educational services to patients with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and prediabetes.
“DiabetesAmerica is a choice provider of treatments and programs tailored for the need of patients,” said Mark Bernard, CEO of SJMC. “Having this clinic at St. Joseph continues our goal to provide the best treatment programs, disease management and health educational services for patients.”
Patient care is delivered by Dr. Zandra Perez-Cadena, DO, an endocrinologist. She is also board-certified in internal medicine. In addition, a DiabetesAmerica educator and support staff create personalized patient treatment plans using the latest diabetes care and screening technologies.
“Opening a clinic in SJMC, Houston’s first hospital, provides a great opportunity to help more patients in the downtown Houston area with diabetes and those who are at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes,” said Chuck Dowling, CEO of DiabetesAmerica. “Our model for patients with diabetes has proven to deliver higher value services and reduced costs over time.”
The DiabetesAmerica comprehensive care program at SJMC includes diagnosis and treatment of patients with diabetes with services including:
- An in-office lab that provides results quickly so that Dr. Perez-Cadena can make timely decisions more effectively.
- MedEase, a diabetes-specialized pharmacy and supply service patients can use to order prescriptions, a free glucose monitor (for most patients) and reduced co-pays on diabetes supplies. All prescriptions and supplies are delivered for free.
- Certified diabetes educators in the clinic who help patients create individualized plans for healthier eating and lifestyle changes that can result in better management of diabetes and potentially reduce the amount of medications needed.
- Access to DietIQ, a medically supervised weight loss program supported by DiabetesAmerica, idea for patients who need to lose 20 pounds or more. This program allows for quick and safe weight loss that is often critical for the health of diabetes and prediabetes patients.
- Continuous glucose monitoring that helps patients avoid blood sugar spikes and dips throughout the day based on their diet and activity level.
- New diabetic neuropathy screening technology that tests blood flow and neurological capabilities in the hands and feet to prevent the loss of feeling and limb loss.
- Retinal eye exams to screen for diabetes-related eye disease.
The DiabetesAmerica clinic at SJMC is located on the second floor of the SJMC Susan K. Strake Building, 1819 LaBranch Street.